04 August 2011

SkyWatch Friday: Rocky Mtn Thunderstorms & Rainbow

The dog days of August at 6,000 feet along the Continental Divide in southwest Montana bring warm 80 deg F days, pleasant 40 deg F nights, clear sunny skies and -- some afternoons -- rousing thunderstorms. The sun's energy creates big thermals along the ridges:

The clouds tower up and form storm cells in the late afternoon/evening with rain, hail, and lightning:

And usually it's followed by a rainbow:

Good days--for people as well as dogs.

7 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Of the three photos, the rainbow is my favorite!

SKY OF WONDER

Sky of wonder, sky of bliss,
Who would think a sky like this
Would permit my eyes to see
Sun and moon and stars for free?


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Desert Hills Sky

Kel said...

your rainbow capture is very bright

Anonymous said...

That was a show, wasn't it? I have never seen a high mountain storm.

BLD in MT said...

I've sure seen some stunning rainbows, but I've never been able to capture one in photo form that satisfies me. Yours is quite stunning.

Judy said...

That first shot is just beautiful! And I love the rainbow!! Now if we could just have some rain, maybe we could see rainbows, too!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

nice! i love a good thunderstorm. when i'm indoors. we haven't had as many this summer, it seems.
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Arija said...

This is a glorious SkyWatch post. I'm still assimilating the post above with the bear, splendid mountain lades and wildflowers. Wowee!